Saturday 25 August 2007

The Alice Project...........

Ok where to start. Back in the winter when the evenings were dark and came all too soon and I found I had a bit of time on my hands I decided it would be a good idea to enter Robynn's (of Purlescence) storytellers challenge. Over a period of six months Robynn would introduce a character from a well known story and ask - what would they knit? Get the idea.

So here we were Alice from Alice in wonderland what would she knit? A very good question and a whole variety of things she may start to consider. I instantly dismissed the obvious tea cosy cover for the Mad Hatter's tea party or a blanket for the Pig baby, I wanted to knit something more interesting, more obscure.

So after discovering a missing chapter from Alice through the Looking glass with the title A Wasp in a Wig I decided to enter a design for a wasp wig hat.
So here is my original design. A yellow and black stripey hat with various knitted curls to come off the hat to represent the curls he (the wasp that is) once had.
I decided that this was going to be a simple knit suitable for beginners and affordable using novelty yarns.
I then had to find some yarn to knit up my intial samples so I could ponder such questions as to how many rows of each colour should I use for each stripe etc.....

The following are the samples that I knitted:


So decision time which one is going to work the best and fit with the theme. I decided to go with the last one. The first being novelty yarn overkill, the second just too plain and the third striking a happy medium between the two. Well at least I think so.

So with yarn now selected, needles won all that is left is to put the lot together and come up with the pattern to knit the wasp wig.
Watch this space.................................................

No comments: