Monday 27 August 2007

Perfect pots for dyeing...........



Earlier this week I had another attempt at dyeing some more yarn the Kool aid way........ the above are the attempts drying on the washing line.


The first set of three are DK wool (50grm skeins) using a variety of grape, orange, tropical punch and strawberry. The second picture is a 100grm skein of Hipknits Laceweight cashmere getting its second dipping in Kool Aid as the first attempt still had some of the Butter Yellow showing where one of the ties was too tight. If you look closely enough you can see the lighter line where the original tie was.

Anyway next step is to have a go at dyeing self stripping sock yarn but this requires long skeins and different colours, so today I went out on a little shopping expedition for some tools.

And I found...........

........this isn't it great? Well it not too great from the outside it just looks like another one of those freezer boxes but on the inside it is perfect. (Well for what I need any way.)

It is an Everin - Nano Silver 5.2l box with click down, sealing thingies. It is also both dishwasher and microwave safe, great if you have a dishwasher. The microwave safe thing is important though for the dyeing process.


And then on the inside it looks like this.........


....with four separate compartments which lift out so you can clean them individually. This must have been made for dyeing self stripping yarn. I can put part of my skein in each of the little pots and microwave away. I am so excited all I need to do now is actually wind the very long skein that is needed.

And guess what? It gets even better.....................



.........I can keep all my little dyeing bits and pieces inside it to keep everything neat and tidy. I am obsessed with organising and having homes and places for things. Look just perfect for those little sponge brushes (also a bargain purchase today), and those lovely sachets of Kool aid in their colour groups. Just perfect!

1 comment:

Robynn said...

Brilliant! I am completely with you on the joy of having nice organised places to put things - this is fantastically useful. And I'm ever so curious to see the results of your sock yarn efforts. Those orangey skeins are looking great!