Monday 22 October 2007

Crafternoon Tea with Jane Brocket......... or whipping up a Yarnstorm



On Saturday I decided to venture up to Vauxhall and find Iknit and go along to Crafternoon tea with Jane Brocket - the author of the controversal (although I didn't know that until I arrived) The Gentle Art of Domesticity and blogger of Yarnstorm.

I still don't understand what has caused such a stir and concern amongst so many. I can only put it down to jealousy. Jane has done some interesting things in her life and is willing to have a go and learn new skills - so what if some of these are termed domestic. She knits, she sews, she bakes, she is creative - I really don't get what is so wrong with that. As she pointed out these are only a very small area of her life there are many more things that she does. I do all those things too and a good number of others not related to anything anywhere near domestic. I don't think I am a bad person and I don't feel guilty that I can do these things.

Anyway Jane was a fantastic speaker and it was so interesting to see the inspiration that she has drawn upon for some of her creations, especially the chocolate box quilt.
I had a fantastic afternoon and indulged in some of the cakes as did this young lady!
I believe like a true knitter she learnt the art of stashing that afternoon I am only sad to say that it wasn't yet with yarn!

I also couldn't resist making a few purchases in Iknit while I was there including the latest edition of Yarn Forward, and some Rowan Damask that was in the Sale. My copy of the book has already been whisked away ready for sending to Santa for Christmas.

No comments: